January 11, 2009 – New York (apj.us) – They've invaded the Beltway! And now they're running amok in the Halls of Congress! Here's today's round-up of what the usual suspects are up to:
- Jason Chaffetz (R-UT03) gets a thumbs down from the Salt Lake Trib for his recent appearance on the Colbert Report. We, on the other hand, loved it – including the leg wrestling. To his credit, Chaffetz praised Colbert: "Television comedians are not exactly known for their physical prowess. But he is freakishly, freakishly strong. You'd be amazed." Chaffetz is proving to be one of the most high-profile of all the freshman legislators – I can't help but have the feeling he is going to be one of the most entertaining of the incomers. The good folks at Across the Great Divide agree on this point, adding that at last, loopy Minnesota congresscritter Michele Bachmann has some competition.
- Committee assignments! Mike Coffman (R-CO06) to Armed Services and Natural Resources, Tom Rooney (R-FL16) to Armed Services and Judiciary, Aaron Schock (R-IL18) to Transportation and Infrastructure, Brett Guthrie (R-KY02) to T&I and Education and Labor, Blaine Luetkemeyer (R-MO09) and Glen Thompson (R-PA05) both to Small Business and Agriculture, Gregg Harper (R-MI03) to Judiciary and Administration, Steve Austria (R-OH07) to Homeland Security and Budget, Phil Roe (R-TN01) to Agriculture and E&L, Tom McClintock (R-CA04) to Natural Resources, and Cynthia Lummis (R-WYAL) to Natural Resources and Budget.
- Coffman, Thompson, Duncan D. Hunter (R-CA52) and Schock took a bold stand in favor of wage discrimination – as did Chaffetz, McClintock, Harper, Austria, Bill Posey (R-FL15), Rooney, Guthrie, Luetkemeyer, Roe, Olson, Lummis, Bill Cassidy (R-LA06), and Erik Paulsen (R-MN03). That's all 17 of the freshmen we're tracking, and one has to assume it's a sign of things to come. Stay classy, guys!
- Thompson told the Centre Daily Times he is already losing weight and schmoozing more senior legislators.
- Why did Cassidy blow off a meeting with his state's governor and all-around GOP golden boy Bobby Jindal? Inquiring minds want to know the real reason.